Dr. Joseph Mercola’s article “Mercury Toxicity and Systemic Elimination Agents” is a literary source in bodygarage, and this week he has written a new article on catching Mercury toxicity from common dental procedures:
“As noted in a 2010 scientific review on mercury exposure and children’s health, there is no known safe level of exposure for mercury. Ideally, exposure should be zero, so any dentist insisting that mercury exposure from amalgam is “minimal” or “inconsequential” is really not acting in an ethical manner. The mercury vapors released from the amalgam in your teeth readily pass through your cell membranes, across your blood-brain barrier, and into your central nervous system. Effects can be psychological, neurological, and/or immunological.
At above average doses, brain functions such as reaction time, judgment, and language can be impaired. At very high exposures, mercury can affect your ability to walk, speak, think, and see clearly. One 2012 study evaluating the effects of mercury on cognition in otherwise healthy adults found that those with blood mercury levels below 5 µg/L had the best cognitive functions. Mild impairment was evident at blood mercury levels of 5 to 15 µg/L and above 15 µg/L, cognition was significantly impaired. Mercury is also known to cause kidney damage, which is why it’s so important to have your mercury fillings removed by a properly trained biological dentist.”
Read the whole article here.